Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Jill's sinus surgery

I had been battling a sinus infection since the end of September.  I went first to a primary care and got an antibiotic, felt better and then worse again!  Then I went to see my allergist, who I haven't seen since the removal of my bone spur from my nose 3 years ago.  He put me on another antibiotic and suggested blood work.  I ended up with a low count against the pneumococcal bacteria, so I ended up getting the pneumococcal vaccine.  I had a really bad local reaction to the vaccine, which really sucked.  But it did work--had another blood test and my levels went up!!  Then after 3rd antibiotic I was still feeling bad, so saw allergist again and he put me on a 20 day antibiotic and sent me to see the ENT again thinking I have chronic sinusitis.  Well got a CT scan of my sinus and sure enough I needed surgery!!  My CT was really awful!  We scheduled surgery for December 31 and I was put on another round of antibiotics!!!

Luckily, my Mom was able to come up to help us with the kids and take care of me after my surgery.  I was worried about Will because I knew I wouldn't be able to nurse him after surgery, but he did ok.  My sister took Kate the morning of my surgery and Gram and PawPaw took Alex the morning of my surgery so that made things much easier for my Mom and Mike only having to take care of me and the baby!  The surgery went very well!! Dr Hicks said I had years of built up inflammation.  I had a long talk with the anesthetist about how last time it took me 4 hours to wake up and I didn't want that to happen again this time!  He listened and I was actually up and ready to leave within 1 1/2 hours after surgery.  I remember my throat being sore from being intubated and my left eye was numb and I couldn't open it!  Funny!  I never really had much pain, but the drainage made me very sick to my stomach!!  I couldn't nurse with the pain medicine, oxycontin, and since it gave me insomnia, I stopped taking it the night of my surgery.  I didn't nurse Will the next day, to make sure the oxycontin was out of my system.  The next few days I didn't do much and I started back on the Adkins diet.  No sugar and low carbs for me now.  I have so much weight to lose!!

Last week I was still moving slow and my Mom left Wednesday so Thursday was a long day!!!  I felt so tired and weak.  I also started having lots of sinus pain on Wednesday on my right side.  Saw the doctor on Friday morning and found out I had a sinus infection on that side!!  I took an easy on Friday and Saturday, but finally Sunday I felt like my self again!!  Yeah!!!

I really hope this is the end of battling with sinus infections!!!

No comments: