Thursday, December 5, 2013

Kate broke her arm

On Thursday night we all headed to McDonald's for Kate's soccer team party.  We ate and then the kids were all playing in their indoor play scape.  Mike and I were visiting with the other parents, when someone said "I think that is Kate crying."  Yes, the great parents we are didn't see Kate fall off the Hippo she was playing on, or did we realize it was her crying.  Her cry was different than any other cry I have ever heard from her.  I picked her up and in between her screaming, she said her arm really hurt.  I carried her to our table and took off her sweater.  Then as I'm saying to myself "please don't let her bone be thur her skin" I pulled up her shirt to see her arm.  It looked deformed and broken.  I looked at Mike and said it looked bad.  She was still screaming and people were starting to look at us.  I started to see stars.  I was not handling seeing her broken arm well at all!  We needed to go.  I remember standing up with her and then thinking--I am going to drop her.  I handed her to Mike and then fainted.  I remember popping right back up in Mommy mode and then Mike says I fell again face first.  I almost hit my head on a table.  Poor Mike.  He was holding Kate and then there I go down. 

Cassie and Mike got the kids in the car as I came to.  The other parents of the kids on the soccer team helped us so much.  They had asked McDonald's for a first aid kit or ice or anything and they didn't help at all.  Somehow they found a piece of cardboard to put under Kate's forearm and a bag for ice.  Mike took the kids to the car and left them with Cassie in the car and came back in to get me.  He yelled at the McDonald's employees and we were later told that the manager never left the fryer.  I guess french fries are more important than my little girl to them.   Mike wanted Alex and I to go to Cassie's, but I insisted that I come with him.  I no longer felt faint, but still weak.

Cassie was nice enough to take Alex for us and away we went to an Urgent Care Center.  They took us right in and the doctor looked at her arm and told the nurse to give her Ibuprofen and then for xrays.  Well, the silly nurse took her for xrays, before giving her drugs so Kate was just screaming when they tried to get xrays of her arm.  They got one and Mike told them to stop!!  Finally, they gave her the ibuprofen and she then fell asleep.  Poor baby.  From the one Xray you could see that the Ulna and Radius were both broken.  The Dr told us that we could try to do more xrays there, but that she needs to see a orthopedic doctor and going to an ER would be a way for her to get on the books for the next day.  We then decided to go on to Dell Children's.  The Dr insisted she had to put a sling on Kate's arm.  Kate screamed the whole time that it was too tight, and Mike had to tell them to stop again.

We got to Dell and they took us right back.  First thing they did was take off the sling that was way too tight on Kate's arm!  She received pain meds up the noise and once it was in effect she was taken to Xray.  The ER Dr showed us the Xray and told us that the orthopedic doctor was going to reset her arm and put on a cast tonight.  Wow!  Kate got an IV put in and then a team of 5 came in to fix her arm.  She was put under with Ketamine while her arm was reset.  Mike and I were sent to the waiting room during the procedure. 

The orthopedic PA came to get us and said she was fine.  We were shown Xrays of her bones back together.  Kate was awake and had been asking for us.  Of course, one of the first things she said was "I miss Max."  Oh goodness!  She had to eat a popsicle to leave so she did and then we were on our way home.

We got home by 1am and put her in our bed for the night so I could sleep with her.  She had to keep her arm in this blue thing for 48 hours to keep it elevated.

She woke me at 3am moving around and crying, but didn't wake up until 7 again.  Mike carried her to the bathroom and she didn't seem in to much pain.  She spent the day watching TV and really didn't complain much at all.  She is so brave and such a trooper!  Due to bad weather, school was closed. Mike picked up Alex from Cassie's and he was having a great time and didn't want to leave!  Mike and I were both exhausted from not getting much sleep the night before and he was still dealing with jet lag from getting back from his trip Tuesday night.  Kate was somehow up all day, but was asleep by 7 and slept great. 

Saturday we all relaxed some more until Alex, Mike, Gram and Aberlee went to check out the new Children's museum.  Cassie, Jax and Reese stopped by to give Kate a get well soon card.

On Thursday, we will go get more xrays and her outer cast.  She says she wants purple.

1 comment:

Christy said...

awful, all of it! poor Kate and poor you! I got really lightheaded and dizzy when T had to get 2 staples in her head, I'm sure I would have passed out at the sight of a broken arm. Hope she heals quickly!