Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Finally a reason for my PAIN

For the past 2 months I have been dealing with what I thought was a sinus infection that just wouldn't go away.  In May I had a yucky cold, but it seemed to go away on it's own.  Then while in DE, I came down with another cold.  This time I decided when I got back home, I was headed straight for my allergist!  He said I had a sinus infection and gave me antibiotics and a 3 day oral steroid.  After a few days I felt a little better, but not great.  After finishing the antibiotics and having insomnia from the steroids, I still was having sinus pressure and sinus headaches.  We decided to do a CT scan to see what was going on in there!  I started on more antibiotics and I was somewhat hoping the CT scan showed something so I would understand why I was having so much sinus pressure.  Unfortunately, the CT scan didn't show any infection, just that I had a deviated septum and a small cyst in a sinus.  I stopped taking the antibiotics and scheduled a allergy skin test for the day after my birthday.  Unfortunately, the skin test showed I wasn't allergic to anything, which could have something to do with the 5+ years I took allergy shots.  So they did a few on my arm and dust and mode had reactions.  Dr V, my allergist, I think at this point didn't have an answer for me as to why I was having pain in my right sinus under my eye.  He said to increase my nasal steroid stray and get back on my Zyrtec.  I did this but started feeling yucky again!!  I called Dr V and he told me to start antibiotics again and then go see an ENT.  

So my first meeting with my ENT didn't go so well and I left with a surgery scheduled, but not an answer as to why I was having pain on only the right side of my face!  So on Tuesday I went to see the ENT again, but this time I demanded for him to have my CT scan and show it to me and to tell me WHY I was having this pain!  He told me I have Sluder's syndrome, which means I have a 9 mm spur for my deviated septum. He showed it to me on my CT scan and it looks awful!  He did a procedure in his office to confirm his diagnosis.  Sluder's syndrome is very uncommon and rare, but fixing the bone spur I have in my nose will take away this awful constant pain I am having on the right side of my face!


Surgery on Sept 27!

Due to the kiddos birthdays, I am waiting until the end of Sept to have the surgery.  I might also have a balloon sinuplasty while I am having my deviated septum fixed.

So I finally have an answer as to why I am having this pain!!

No comments: